A welcome to my bastion of insanity. This is updated periodically with discussions about my creativity, books I am working on, and the occasional rant and rave. Enjoy the read!

Friday, October 12, 2012

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blog post

After the small dump of the brain on the last post, it's time to get back to brainstorming and hopefully make my way toward getting a third draft concepted. Conventional wisdom tells me that I have fixed a lot of the nagging issues that were plaguing me and keeping a persistent writers block in place.

While sleeping way longer than usual last night (a grand total of 12 hours sleep with a couple wake ups during the night due to sinus blockage, ugh) I remembered another thing that had brought me some annoyance and that was the mission I had since coined the 'suicide turning point' of the story. This was the mission in which SOCA teams are sent off on supposedly legit missions, only being led into traps that will snuff them out. As of right now, the Mavericks are sent to a safehouse in the Cuban foothills. Once there, they find the house full of empty intel, a deliberate set up. After a few minutes of securing the place, a pair of enemy fighter jets bomb the place with missiles. When they awaken, all of them now bruised, bloodied and battered - they are forced to contend with a mop up team of Ultranationalist soldiers. Adele arrives soon after, and they manage to escape but not before Travi literally dies and is breathed life once more.

Now the idea behind the mission is sound, and I like it. However, I'm having to think about how plausible it would be. The idea of a fighter jet or two bombing this place, what are the odds of it completely demolishing the place? Then, how possible or plausible is it that the missiles hit, but only destroy a portion of it - but the force of the impact is enough to injure and daze the team inside. Given it is fiction, there is always some form of leeway granted due to the fact that although its real world and physics do apply (or do they?), the heroes have to live on to fight another day, am I right?

When I think about this, I reference the part in Modern Warfare 2 during the "Wolverines!" mission in which the restaurant is attacked by jets and it only destroys half of the store:

At about 2:54 in the video, you will see what I mean.
The jets come in, drop their payload and if you keep listening past that, you will hear Sergeant Foley say they are okay and need to get out.

This leads me to think that the idea is at least somewhat plausible for a fiction piece, because that is what is Modern Warfare 2 is obviously. So, as I think about it - the more that idea becomes a bit more solid and it is possible to maintain that aura of complete loss on the team's part. This would also set up the rest of the story nicely, and be a climax for the end of the first half of the book.
So, it would seem to me that that area would be okay at this point after referencing some fictional pieces of work for extra reassurance. Lord knows I need it.

Alrighty, starting tomorrow I think I will begin putting together a rough storyboard on how I see this new draft playing out. Eager once again to begin writing, maybe I can make it all the way this time. Time will tell...

With that, adieu everyone.


1 comment:

  1. 12 hours isn't long at all. LOL We sometimes need things like that to recoup. I do hope that you feel better. You now have that Adele song stuck in my head. Thanks....a....lot....

    ReplyDelete