A welcome to my bastion of insanity. This is updated periodically with discussions about my creativity, books I am working on, and the occasional rant and rave. Enjoy the read!

Friday, October 5, 2012

The old missions from the original draft

So, oddly enough while I was getting this place cleaned up enough to have new carpet put down - I ran across the old (as in ancient, when grass was new) original draft of my story, the 213 page one that never saw the lick of daylight after it was printed and crammed into a box, never to seen again I thought.

I thought anyhow. Ran across it, and was overjoyed - spent the better part of an hour arranging it into order again and reading through it. This draft was printed off about six, maybe seven years ago. It's amazing at how far my writing abilities and skills have advanced since then (which may not be much considering). Regardless, I ran across several of the old missions the team had embarked on - several of which have not been used since.

One of these came during a raid on a Catholic cathedral that had been converted into a base of operations for the terrorists, with even the clergy of the place taking up arms for their cause. During this raid, one of the doctors that was abducted during the raid was taken him to be questioned, and ultimately executed. The team launched a rescue mission, wrecking shop on the priest-turned-gunmen, eventually leading to a solo mission by Chase Jules into the catacombs to rescue the doctor while the rest of the team stood guard and watched his flank, except for Travi.

Travi decided to go investigate the upper floor of the place, checking for additional evidence. On this escapade, he encounters his brother, Mark - who had almost been waiting for him (a signal of the Benson mole). The two have a brief gunfight, fist fight and leads with Mark making an escape via a gunship, who open fires on Travi in a last ditch attempt to kill him. The kid Gladius manages to escape the upper levels as it comes crashing down, members of his team rushing to assist as he tumbles back down the stairs. Chase emerges with the doctor, and they call for evac on the helicopter that had been waiting miles away.

Of course, looking back at this mission made me laugh at bit at how many holes exists in its plot, but it also got to me to thinking about how this cathedral can still be used and the elements of the entire section could make an excellent part to add into the overall story. Seeing as how the story goes from climax to conclusion WAY too quickly at present, it's possible that this cathedral - in its present state as a converted base of operations could be used once again as the team raids it in attempt to eliminate a high ranking officer in the Ultranationalist movement, or even to rescue another team that was captured during a mission.

If I plan to do this, I am wondering if its possible to add in the same elements as the original encounter. Have Travi embark on a solo journey to the upper levels, scuffle with the elder Gladius and then make a hasty escape while a gunship or other element torches the area. The team's evac chopper with Adele could be waiting in the wings, several miles away as to avoid detection. It's something to explore, and something I am looking at for later on down the line. If not though, I may look at options for reusing this locale and mission.

The other missions I looked at didn't have as much 'replay' value as the others, nor were they integral to the storyline. My only other archive exists with in the second draft in using a little known, but seemed to be rather influential mission that may be tweaked just a tad to interface well with the story. Originally in Miami, I'm thinking closer to the nerve stim of the United States.

Closing it down. Gute Nacht.

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing quite like running across old pieces of work and reading them and becoming re-inspired. :) Let your creativity roar!

    On another note...I think most of my old stuff I can't even read the handwriting.

    ReplyDelete