A welcome to my bastion of insanity. This is updated periodically with discussions about my creativity, books I am working on, and the occasional rant and rave. Enjoy the read!

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A quick thought, then back to your regularly scheduled blog post

Just as a change of pace for a moment while I unload this particular thought into worded form. I have already been looking ahead in time several months as I tend to do whenever I get some grandiose idea along the lines of hoping to become an author someday.

Getting your foot in the door is the beginning of any journey as many of us know, and its that important step that becomes all the more part of your focus on a daily basis when you wish to make something happen. However, this is not as easy as opening said door and placing your foot inside. No, quite the contrary. In an attempt to get some measure of a head start into gauging interest of my book to potential publishers, I have written several query letters to various known publishing houses.

Over the span of a few months, I sent about five letters out to the likes of Random House, Del-Ray etc. The few that decided to give me the time of day was nothing more than a solid: No, not interested. You lack <insert excuse here>. The others did not even bother to reply, leaving me with absolutely no clue as to intentions.

Now, I know that my life's well being will not hinge on the publishing of books, that is already been said. It's a very rare chance that I will take off on my career with book writing and end up successful enough to quit my day job. And by rare, I mean less than 1%. I have accepted that fact, and I'm more at the point of: Can I accomplish this and consider it one of my life's major achievements? Then if I wind up mildly successful with it, maybe a little extra income. But not to get too far ahead of myself, let's get back to the idea of at least saying: Hey, I published a book. I at least did something with my life.

After some extensive research and some looking into alternative options, along with a peer review from a fellow first time author who used this company, I have found a publishing house that may be able to serve the purpose I look to achieve. I have spoke with a few people, and in the spirit of entrepreneurship - it seems like a risk worth taking. I have read the warnings, the advice from people who say: Keep trying. Let's face it, the big name publishing houses will not even look at you unless your name is Stephen King. A lot of people make the argument: They started out in the same position as you, and look where they got. This is true, to an extent.

The talent differentials, as well as differences in daily lives and what I have to do as a day job to make ends meet rarely offers me a lot of time to spend solely on trying to write books. And the sad reality is, on the websites of these big name publishing companies, they pretty much go ahead and put it in black and white for you, something along the lines of: We reject a thousand letters every day from authors like you, and you should not be surprised if we do the same to you. That, to me, is literary jargon for: Who the hell are you again? Yeah, go away kid - you're bothering me.

So, this company I have given serious consideration too seems to be rather legit. People who have used them agree that they deliver on their promises made with their very non-exclusive contract. Back to the part about entrepreneurship: It does cost money to cover printing, publishing, and distribution. A lot of people argue that shouldn't happen. Why not? They are a business, just like any other - trying to make money.

The start up cost for this is 499.00 for their basic package, but I believe I would go ahead and tack on the additional distribution package for 199.00 more. So, pretty much 700.00 to begin with. Well within my budget range, and easily paid for with my own checks. The better idea though, is could I potentially recoup that money by marketing out my book and being aggressive in trying to get my name out there. One neat aspect of this, is the publishing company does distribute to actual book stores, not just online. And they have a fee-free return policy should the books not sale, a boon to most book stores because they do not wish to pay to send them back (again, they are a business looking to make money).

I would imagine the vast majority of my sales, if any, would come via the publisher's website and Amazon.com, with whom they deal. With a marketing campaign that I could potentially put together, along with asking my faithful friends to help spread the word, perhaps there is a chance that I could break even one day, or who knows - maybe even make a little profit.

I'm obviously not going to go into specifics because I don't want to argue with people over my decisions. My mind is not made, but with my current impasse and the lack of traditional publishers willing to give new authors a look, leaves the said new authors looking for other means to get their work out. Someone who writes, inevitably wants to share their work with the world. Because, let's face it...

Just because your name isn't Stephen King...
                                                        ...doesn't mean you don't have a story to tell.

And for the first time author, looking to get their work out there, for others to enjoy and read - we have to get creative and say fuck it to the traditional publishers. Because, there again...

Just because we may not become as famous of Stephen King...
                                                                     ...doesn't mean we don't have a story to tell.

'Till next time, and back to brainstorming as I think I'm beginning to draw close to draft number three's conception.

1 comment:

  1. No wonder I couldn't find your blog. Sheesh. You changed the name! You have the gift of turning that talented author awesomeness and making a name for yourself. You'll have to tell me more about the company that you're thinking about rockin' with.

    ReplyDelete