A welcome to my bastion of insanity. This is updated periodically with discussions about my creativity, books I am working on, and the occasional rant and rave. Enjoy the read!

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

On everyday ending in "y".

A couple new situations presented themselves while I was in the process of writing this morning before taking my daily downtime known as sleep. Differences can originate in so many ways and it can always be something very minor, such as a small detail that can suddenly throw the entire line of thinking into limbo and drastically change the course of the story.

I'm well in chapter four now, and upon review of the 2nd draft, I was only 65 pages into the book. I'm sitting at 89 now, with additional details that I have placed into the writing in my attempts to better explain and show all situations that have been going on and hopefully help build the characters into real people that readers can relate to. One major change I have made is integrating (poorly at times), multiple POVs in any given situation that helps regale the entire circumstance. An example would be, while x character is doing this, y character is doing this in the meantime, usually separated by ** marks to indicate that it is a concurrent situation. Not sure why I chose those, but the books and stories I have read in the past have always used those as a way to show what is going on with other characters while the main characters are otherwise preoccupied in their current tasks.

This presents a small problem when two of the "POV" characters actually have "screen time" together, but this seems to be solved by merely showing it from the main character's view as the story is probably concerning him just as much as the secondary character (any interaction between Travi and Allison, Travi and his team, and later on, any faceoffs between Travi and Mark). Seeing as how the story is centered around the kid Gladius, it makes sense that his POV would take priority. Other times, it may be better to allow a secondary character (such as Allison) to take the spotlight. It's one of the many difficulties of writing, and one of those things that still present a challenge to an unseasoned author such as myself.

Of all days ending in "y", I focus much of my free time on trying to keep the story fresh in my mind and keep the characters talking to me. The more they tell me, the more I write. At this point, I can't even tell if I'm the one writing the book....or if they are.

Short post, but just a few ideas that have crept up on me. Also now have an emergency backup plan to fall on if my writing hits another block. Hopefully this project will be a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency thing, just an attempt to refire my thoughts and get back to writing. I haven't been this zeroed in for a long time, so maybe I'm finally getting the rest of the crap out of my life that was bogging me down. Time will tell.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment