A welcome to my bastion of insanity. This is updated periodically with discussions about my creativity, books I am working on, and the occasional rant and rave. Enjoy the read!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Ye old drawing board

On the drive into work today, I had a couple new revelations on how I'm wanting to progress. As much as the outside the box thinking can help, I want apply that to my original storyline, if only because I am so attached to the plot, characters and the twists.
These few ideas came in the form of clearing some gaping holes in the plot. I still like the idea of mass scale weapons being developed, just as much as I enjoy how that story plays out.
After mission two in the book, the team returns to an attack by the bad guys. Okay, too many issues with it. So, I'm thinking Benson is involved more and moles are already in place. An explosion that only partly works, perhaps in haste it was not wired totally and therefore only delivered some of its payload. Then the Soviets that attack make like the terrorists from Air Force One. Fake passports, cleared names etc. That would make more sense, and given the surroundings of SOCA HQ, it could be plausible that they make an escape via some sort of escape route.
It can be assumed that these men would know what they are doing, and this would be very plausible and with Benson playing the role of mole anyhow, he would be instrumental in orchestrating the entire ordeal.
Moving onto another topic, the mass scale weapons. How long would the bad guys have to keep SOCA busy? We can go with at least few weeks if they were busting ass, so what are they doing in the meantime? Conventional attacks would be an answer, bombings, guerilla warfare and various attempts at disrupting the allied nations while they worked.
On that note, does Aramov continue with his deadline? And as time draws on, he grows agitated as things begin to unravel. Two attempts at killing the doctors and one at destroying SOCA as a whole. The attacks do not have to be widescale, nor do they have to be much outside of mentioned through news, or introductions to chapters - which can add to the urgency of the situation.
One thing that had me tied up was the amount of missions the team had, too few for one. After the suicide mission, they needed a couple more missions to take care of the intern while they kept the story crawling. I hate to write a book that is too short, but I also do not want to bore people to add a few pages to it.
So, I found an old copy of the original draft WAY back when. I remember one mission being at a converted monastery to rescue someone. In this instance, it could be to capture someone, or it could be a depository that they luckily stumble upon.
The other mission or two could stem from that information, in eliminating the chain of command (which I could establish) and allow that to lead up to the final attack.
Finally, some progress...
I'm liking these ideas, and it seems to be getting somewhere now. About damn time.
Au Revoir.

1 comment:

  1. I want a lot of missions dangit! Dont think of it as you're writing a novel. Let it progress like you're watching a movie or if it was happening in real life and you're documenting it. Every single last detail! You think to much on if each sentence goes towards the progression and eventual climax of the story. Just write!

    ReplyDelete